This is the finale of my muffin trifecta: Wild Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins (to add to Spiced Yogurt Muffins and Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes). A combination of all great ingredients, spurred by a few lonely bananas that made it to the black, yet super sweet stage on my kitchen counter. While this muffin was incredibly tasty and filled with healthy ingredients, I don’t think I will be making muffins again anytime soon…. so many muffins from one batch lasting me a week or two, I think I am all muffined out for a while.
Wild Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup (125g) (wild) blueberries
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup (125g) plain flour
2/3 cup (75g) wholewheat flour
1 cup (200g) rolled oats
1/2 cup (75g) brown sugar
1 cup (250ml) milk
2 large eggs, separated
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar.
2. Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the banana, egg yolks, milk and oil.
3. Mix everything gently until a wet batter forms.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
5. Fold the egg whites and blueberries into the muffin batter until everything is mixed evenly.
6. Divide the muffin mix into individual paper cases and place in an oven for
25 minutes at 400°F.
The muffins should be fine to eat for 4–5 days and can easily be frozen in zip lock bags.
Makes 12 muffins