Sweet Chickpea Flour Pancakes with Quickie Raspberry Chia Jam
I almost thought about making my blog vacation all about chickpea flour. I have been experimenting with it a lot more and this was a fun venture into sweet pancakes.
I was drawn to Gena’s recipe because they were protein pancakes without protein powder. While I am no stranger to savoury chickpea flour pancakes (aka besan chilla), I liked how these were more traditional. Here, chickpea flour is combined with cashew flour and soy milk for a heartier base.
They did not fluff up like regular pancakes, but were good for a lazy weekend breakfast. I topped them with a quickie raspberry chia jam for a summer twist. Forget boiling the fruit as in my blueberry vanilla chia jam. I simply defrosted some frozen raspberries in the microwave, added some chia seeds and waited a few minutes. The jam was a nice sweet contrast when rolled inside the pancakes.
I am sharing this with Dead Easy Desserts.
Sweet Chickpea Flour Pancakes
Adapted from Choosing Raw
1.5 tsp flax meal
2 tbsp warm water
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup cashew flour/ground cashews
1 tbsp hemp protein powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp soy milk
sweetener to taste, I added a few drops of vanilla stevia (completely necessary to counteract the hemp taste; you may need more sweetener if you substitute almond meal)
Quickie Raspberry Chia Jam, to serve (see below)
1. Begin by making your chia jam (see below).
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal with the water. Whisk together and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour, cashews, hemp protein powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined. Make a well in the middle and add the soy milk and soaked flax seeds. Stir until combined, add sweetener to taste.
4. Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 2 tbsp worth of batter and spread it to make a 4″ pancake. Once it starts to bubble and the edges firm up, flip and cook until lightly browned. Remove from pan and place on a plate. Continue with the remainder of the batter.
5. Serve jam overtop pancakes.
Makes 8-10 pancakes, serves 1-2.
Quickie Raspberry Chia Jam
1/3 cup frozen raspberries
1 tbsp chia seeds
sweetener, to taste (I used a few drops of vanilla stevia)
1-2 tbsp water, if needed
1. Heat your frozen raspberries. I microwaved mine for a minute but feel free to use the stove top. Add chia seeds, mix and allow to swell for 5 minutes. Add sweetener to taste and thin with additional water if needed.